The nostalgic McHenry Outdoor Theater continues to make memories for thousands of families in the McHenry County Area. With numerous years of experience, we at Golden Age Cinemas strive to recreate the entertaining, innocent days of the 1950's. Put the kids in their pajamas, get in the car, and come out to see two movies for less than the price of one. Nothing is more American than spending a summer night under the stars watching a big Hollywood movie.
1510 Chapel Hill Road
McHenry, IL 60050
Showtimes: (847) 362-3011
Gates Open at 6:30 P.M. Daily.
Things to know before the Show!
Kids (11 & under): $5.00
At Golden Age Cinemas, McHenry Outdoor Theater, we do our best to ensure that everyone's night is as fun and enjoyable as possible. In order to ensure that all cars have an adequate view of the screen we do have a few parking rules.
- Vehicles larger than 67" will be required to park next to a red colored pole
- Red poles are located near the outside, front, and back
- Vehicles shorter than 67" will be required to park next to a silver colored pole
- Silver poles are located in the center of the lot
- Any vehicle hatch that is blocking the view of those behind them may be asked to be lowered or shut
Here at Golden Age Cinemas McHenry Outdoor Theater, we pride ourselves on our concession stand. Our concession stand is what funds everything from the screen tower, to the nostalgic drive-in speakers, to the projector. We offer many great food items from snacks to full meals:
The concession stand is open throughout the entire night. Thanks for your support!
- Hot Dogs
- Guinness Beer Brats
- That's Amore Pizza by the Slice (weekends only)
- Variety of Candy
- Pepsi Cola Products
- Hot Pretzels
- Bottled Water, Gatorade, & Energy Drinks
- Variety of Ice Cream
- Glow Bracelets & Glow Necklaces
Listening to the movie
In order to provide the best movie watching experience possible, we provide multiple ways to listen to the movie:
- Nostalgic Speakers
Just like in the 50's, these old time drive in speakers allow you to hang the movie sound right in your window! Because these authentic speakers are old and difficult to maintain, only about half of our poles offer this option.
- Tune Your Radio
We broadcast our movie every night through 89.9 FM radio frequency. So you can enjoy quality stereo sound right in your car! Another way to do so is to bring an old boom box and let it play through there!
- Check out Radios
We also offer free radio checkouts with a valid photo ID. We have a limited amount, so while supplies last!
What to bring
Golden Age Cinemas McHenry Outdoor Theater is one of the only theaters where you can spend an entire evening of fun. Many like to come early and enjoy the weather and nostalgic atmosphere, but before you venture out, you may want to consider packing these items:
Frisbee, Ball, or something to play with: At our theater we have an expanse of grass that is great for playing with the kids before the show gets started.
Alternative seating: Get comfy and settled in. One of the only places you can watch a movie in your own seating outside (Note: all chairs, tables and other belongings must be kept directly in front of vehicle)
Blankets: On those cold spring of fall evenings, there is nothing better than curling up under a blanket under the stars.
Furry Friends: Dogs are always welcome at the McHenry Outdoor Theater. (Note: animals must be kept on a leash at all times)
What time should we arrive?
- Gates open at approximately 6:30 P.M. each day we are open. We recommend arrive no later than 7:30 P.M. on opening weekends of new movies to ensure quality parking spots.
What if I want to leave and come back?
- Upon leaving our theater grounds you must pay to reenter
What if we are meeting someone who arrives later in the evening? Can we save a spot?
- All parking at the McHenry Outdoor Theater is first come first serve. Any objects blocking or saving spaces may be asked to move. We commend arriving together whenever possible.
Do you accept debit or credit cards?
- We accept debit and credit cards at our box office and in our concession stand.
What time does the movie start?
- Because our screen is located outdoors, we must wait until it is completely dark before the movie may begin. Movie start times will vary throughout the summer depending of the time of sundown.
What if it rains?
- We will always play through our movies rain or shine! We cannot issue rain checks or refunds.
- Is grilling allowed?
- No sort of grilling is allowed at the McHenry Outdoor. That includes propane, charcoal, or electrical grills.
What's playing next week? How often do you change your movies?
- We strive to always offer one new release movie that will run for a minimum of two weeks. The second feature will usually be changed every weekend. Because we only have one screen, we usually will not know what movies will play until the preceding Monday.